There are two types of hosting services available for web hosting. The Windows Hosting using Microsoft’s proprietary OS and Open Source Linux based hosting services. There is a great advantage of Windows based hosting services, a very good support system. It makes it easier for a network administrator. However, with a quality third party hosting services there is a good availability of support by these vendors.
The benefits of Linux hosting services over Windows hosting are
- Access: While windows hosting only supports FTP, Linux hosting has options of FTP, Telnet or SSH. These primitive methods are helpful on networks where FTP is blocked.
- cPanel: The Linux cPanel is much powerful than the Windows Control Panels. It provides a much easier UI and a more secure connection. Click here to see a demo of CPanel.
- Cost: Being Open Source, Linux Servers are low cost. This makes these services available for people with budget constraints. Visit this website to check the rates of various hosting providers.
- Security: Linux Servers are less venerable in comparison to Windows servers, providing a more secure hosting to the clients. Customer reviews show a better performance of Linux servers in this avenue.
- Downtime: Linux Servers take less time to reboot and are more secure, giving a more uptime guarantee to the users.
- Cost Effective Development: The development of website on proprietary software costs more than open source. So, a lot of people prefer open source developments, which are better compatible on open source servers. Check out the various web development communities.
- CGI/Perl: Common Gateway Interface and Perl enhance the form filling applications on the websites. Follow this link to see the advantages of CGI/PERL.
These advantages of Linux based servers have placed them on the top of website hosting market. Most of the users prefer Linux hosting as they are cheaper and more efficient.